My fiancée left me because of my past porn useSun, Feb 25th 2007
My fiancée just left me. She was everything to me. I loved her more than I knew was possible. I thought I was wholly and unreservedly devoted to her and our dreams. She left me because she found out I had lied about when I stopped looking at internet porn--I stopped when she came to live with me, but I had told her I had stopped long long before that. The combination of the shock of finding the evidence on my computer, and the realization that I had lied to her face, made her leave. She went back home, 2000 miles away, and I think we are really over, and I don't know how to deal with it--deal with knowing that I threw destroyed both our dreams and wounded her, perhaps permanently. I never wanted to do anything wrong by her. I would have served her and honored her and shared myself with her completely. But apparently there is a division in myself that I don't understand or I never would have lied to her to begin with. How do I make something right out of this? How can I live with this?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.